Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Evaluating Schools

Tomorrow - September 3, 2009 - the state of Michigan releases the AYP status for schools in Michigan.  The law requires that they release this data before the beginning of a new school year.  

The report will show that our district - Grand Ledge - did very well.  As I review data like this I wonder how important is it to parents.  Do parents look for this information when looking for a school district?  

Part of me hopes that parents do pay attention.  While AYP and School Report Card grades are imprecise measures of school performance, these measures do provide one standardized way to measure how well a school is doing. I want all of our schools to meet the AYP standard and to receive high report card grades. Our schools need to be able to demonstrate that our students are learning. 

Another part of me, however, hopes that parents also look at other things when deciding on a school.  I hope that parents also look at the intangibles.  I hope parents look to see what opportunities students have in academics, athletics, and the arts.  I hope parents look at the physical facility.  I hope parents try to discover the district culture.  I hope parents try to get a sense of what schools feel like - the culture of a school.  I hope parents ask questions and try to make sure that teachers, administrators, and other school employees have a passion for making sure that students learn.

My hope is parents understand that there is more to measuring a school than just test scores.  Test scores are important, but so are so many other things that can't be recorded and reported.

No comments:

Post a Comment